Dublin National Bank – Our Proud History

Dublin, Texas is located in Erath County at the busy crossroads of U.S. 377/67 and State Highway 6. The frontier town was founded in 1854 by A. H. Dobkins, but was not named until 1860. The source of its name is subject to on-going debate. The most commonly accepted version is that the name was originally Doublin, reflecting the settlers' habit of "doubling in" the wagons for protection during Indian raids. Another version is that Irish settlers named it for the capital of Ireland. A third version is that it was named for a local stagecoach inn that had double wings.

John G. Harris, R. W. Higginbotham, Dr. T. Y. Lewis and H. A. Smith organized the Dublin National Bank, the first bank in Erath County and the fifteenth in the state. The Dublin National Bank was chartered on February 10, 1893.

The bank was founded and has remained on the northwest corner of the intersection of Patrick Street and Elm Street, diagonally across the intersection from Dublin Bottling Works (founded in 1891) and just a few blocks from Higginbotham Bros. Lumber, the community's longest continuously-operating business (founded in 1881).

The banks fifth president was Edward Harris, the son of former president and founder, John G. Harris. The young Harris, a Dublin High School graduate, was credited with keeping Dublin National Bank in a strong financial condition, even as the nation was in the throes of the Great Depression.

The bank has been at the same location since it was founded, but has undergone a number of expansions and renovations. An open house on March 17, 1950 revealed the first major expansion project. Purchases of adjoining buildings in 1964 and 1976 created a larger more modern facility. In 1988, a construction project began which included a motor bank and customer parking area behind the bank on a site that once was home to a movie theatre. The automated teller machine was added in 1995, along with an additional drive-through lane.

We held an Open House on December 20, 2013 for our 120th Anniversary.